1. Declaration of the year 2003 as the International Year of Fresh water, proposed by President of Tajikistan EmomaliRahmon at the 54th Session of the UN General Assembly (October 1999).
Based on this initiative,during the 55th Session of the UN General Assembly the year 2003 was declared as the International Year of Fresh Water and International Forum on fresh water was held in Dushanbe (29 August – 1 September 2003).
2. Declaration of the years 2005-2015 as the International Decade for Action “Water for life”. On December 2003 the UN General Assembly adopted a respective Resolution and announced 2005-2015 as the International Decade for Action “Water for life”.
3. Proposal on ensuring fresh drinking water supply to the countries of Central Asia through establishing International Consortium on utilization of water ofSarez Lake.
4. Proposal on establishing an International Fund for Saving Glaciers at the 3rd World Forum on Environment (31 August – 4 September, 2009,Geneva) and later at the 15th Conference of the member-states of the UNFCC (7-18 December 2009, Copenhagen, Denmark).
5. Proposals and initiatives of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan on restoring peace and security in Afghanistan through economic and social reconstruction. In this regard five small and large bridges have been constructed with the support of Agha-Khan Foundation and the Government of USA on Pjanj river that play significant role in finding solution to difficulties of Afghan population residing in border areas, including finding jobs, having better access to food products, medicine and getting treatment in hospitals and clinics of border territory in Tajikistan.
6. Announcement of the year 2013 – the year of International Water Cooperation (20 December 2010). High-level International Conference on Water Cooperation was held in Dushanbeon 20-21 August 2013, pursuant to General Assembly resolution 67/204, entitled “Implementation of the International Year of Water Cooperation, 2013”.
As the result of this Conference the following outcome documents were adopted:
• Dushanbe Declaration of the High-level International Conference on Water Cooperation;
• Dushanbe Action Plan on Water Cooperation;
• Chair`s Summary of the High-level International Conference on Water Cooperation.
7. Establishing the Regional Center on demining.
8. Proposal of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan to announce 2018 – 2028 years International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development”. On December 21, 2016 the UN General Assembly adopted the relevant resolution and declared 2018-2028 the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development”. This initiative was originally put forward by the Leader of Peace and National Unity – the Leader of the Nation, the President of the Republic of Tajikistan on April 12, 2015 at the World Water Forum in Daegu, Republic of Korea.
The initiative was adopted by the UN General Assembly as a result of the adoption of the resolution (A/RES/71/222). According to this resolution (OP3) the period from 2018 to 2028 was declared the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development”, which started on 22 March 2018 and ends on 22 March 2028.